ABOUT COULSON AVIATION
Coulson Aviation is a global aerial firefighting company that operates in the USA, Canada, Australia, and South America.
Coulson Aviation operates with a fleet of large aerial firefighting aircraft consisting of both fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft. With our fleet, we can run rapid aerial fire suppression, including initial attack and extended attack protocols.
Coulson Aviation is a part of The Coulson Group of companies. We are a growing organization that has been in business for 63 years.
We are currently looking for a Director of Maintenance.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for Director of Maintenance to work out of our Part 145 repair station in Thermal, CA and oversee the responsibility of coordinating, supervising, and accomplishing all maintenance functions across the company, to the highest standards. The successful candidate will work with the VP of Maintenance, Chief Inspector, ownership, and other company stakeholders.
This position will be on site in Thermal, CA. While we would prefer a local or relocatable candidate, we may consider a hybrid-remote agreement for the right person.
Operations & Personnel Management
- Mentor teams regarding continual maintenance, repair, preventative maintenance, alternation timelines and adjust as necessary.
- Oversee the work performed by any individuals unfamiliar with the methods, techniques, practices, aids, equipment, and tools used to perform that work.
- Partake in and assist Fleet Managers and Crew Chiefs where needed with supervising and directing all aircraft technicians in the performance of their duties so that work is accomplished on schedule.
- Ensures that all work is in accordance with applicable Federal Aviation Regulations and repair station procedures.
Training & Oversight
- Work with the Chief Inspector to identify current and future training needs for inspectors, mechanics, technicians, and support staff under the repair station.
- Recruit, train, and retain qualified staff to conduct maintenance duties in accordance with internal and Federal regulations.
- Ensure personnel have appropriate knowledge or are properly trained prior to assigning maintenance tasks, including observation of safety precautions during the performance of
- their duties.
Regulatory Compliance & Reporting
- Ensure that work performed on articles under the authority of the repair station is appropriately approved for return to service on the maintenance release.
- Ensure compliance with this manual in the performance of maintenance duties.
- Ensure employee compliance with all internal and Federal regulations.
- Maintain appropriate and current Code of Federal Regulations, Advisory Circulars, Specifications, Type Certificate Data Sheets, Technical Data and Airworthiness Directives and be able to access the forementioned and know how to utilize the ONLY current regulations on the FAA website.
- Ensure FAA-approval/acceptance of the technical data supporting all major repairs and/or alterations.
- Ensure that Airworthiness Directives are reviewed for applicability and compliance.
- File reports on serious failures, malfunctions, or defects in a timely and accurate manner.
- Determine with the VP whether incidents or alleged incidents of non-compliance with regulations should be reported to the FAA.
Inspections & Audits
- Maintain audit schedules, results, and corrective actions as requested by the Chief Inspector per RSQCM.
- Participate in rotating field audits with the C.I. and Safety Manager for Repair Station and USFS compliance.
- Enforce standards to conduct a hidden damage inspection on articles that have been involved in an accident.
- Determine that work performed by the Repair Station is within its certificate authority.
- Review and maintain required training necessary to meet contract requirements (i.e., USFS mx courses).
- Ensure repair station staff are monitoring hours and days worked while on USFS jobs.
Resource Management & Record Keeping
- Coach and teach the importance of aircraft spares, inventory, and mobile service trailer stock, in a proactive mindset.
- Implement, maintain, and enforce processes and procedures to ensure all parts receiving, preliminary, hidden damage, in-process, and final inspections of articles undergoing maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alteration are performed in accordance with the applicable maintenance data and company policies and procedures.
- Ensure assigned technicians have the appropriate equipment, tools, and maintenance data for performing assigned tasks.
- Ensure that the proper data is being used at any time during performance of maintenance. Ensure maintenance records are appropriately completed.
- Ensure the role includes adequate coverage, and fluidity between repair station, operator, and other stakeholders (i.e., Canada, Australia, Chile) and ensure all needs are met as one entity.
- Participate in weekly management and maintenance meetings as an active member with planning and technical records.
- Helping with work scope generation to meet the highest quality and ensuring those work packages are checked for accuracy prior start and closing.
- Ensures that overall hangar operations run smoothly, and cleanliness meets or exceeds industry standards.
- At least 5 years of experience at a director level within the aviation industry.
- 10+ years of progressively increasing responsibility at the management level, with demonstrated results.
- 10+ years of experience working with Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and Bombardier manufactured aircraft.
- Experience in the aerial firefighting industry is strongly preferred.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with the maintenance, preventative maintenance, alteration, and inspection methods, techniques, practices, aids, equipment, and tools used to determine the work is performed properly and the airworthiness of the article on which maintenance, preventative maintenance, or alterations are being performed.
- Proficient in using the various types of tools, equipment, and inspection equipment, and visual inspection aids appropriate for the article being maintained, altered and/or inspected.
- Thoroughly familiar with the applicable regulations used by the repair station to ensure work is performed properly.
- Must lead by example and be able to set high expectations for all repair station employees and vendors alike.
- Able to request information from multiple team members, acknowledging existing workloads, timelines and organizing requests by order of importance.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft programs, familiar with FAA WebOPSS and maintain an excellent relationship with regulatory bodies.
- Communication with management and team members to set goals and meet targets.
- Able to read, interpret, and comprehend technical documents and understand the regulatory verbiage for compliance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- $120K – 175K, depending on experience.
- Company paid benefits (no monthly premium to you).
- Matching 5% 401K plan.
We support diversity, equity, and a workplace that is free from
harassment and discrimination. We are committed to providing
accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation
through any element of the job application process, please notify us
and we will work with you to meet your needs.